23.2.15

Stir Fried Veggie Beef and Green Peppers in Taiwanese Shacha Sauce 沙茶青椒素牛肉







It's hard to imagine I'd write a recipe using green bell peppers since I've refused to eat them most of my life! Mom used to make this dish (with real beef or pork sometimes), and I would always pick out the peppers. In fact, I hated any peppers. So how did I learn to like it? To be honest, I don't quite understand it myself! (?・・)σ I was watching a Japanese drama, which happened to be about food several years ago (are you surprised???). In one of the episodes, someone cooked a pork stuffed green pepper dish, which looked very delicious to me, and that was it! From then on, I decided that I like green peppers. Actually, I'll even correct myself, and say that I now LOVE green bell peppers! Isn't it funny how your mind can just change like that one day?


When I was in Taiwan just six months ago, my mom made this dish with pork. It was so good that I slurped and gobbled down the entire portion she gave me, plus more! (*≧m≦*) Since I like it so much, I thought I'd share my vegan version with you all. I used a vegan Taiwanese shacha sauce (see photo below), which you can find in most of the Chinese grocery stores in Chinatown. It goes really well with green peppers. To me, the flavour of the sauce is what really makes the dish. If you can't find it, no problem. Just omit the shacha sauce, though it really tastes much better with it. You may find yourself slurping that yummy sauce (like I did), and eating more green peppers than you ever have!









Stir Fried Veggie Beef and Green Peppers in Taiwanese Shacha Sauce (4 servings)



3  scallions, sliced diagonally

2  lg green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces

3  garlic, chopped

1  pk veggie beef (I used beef veggie tenders from Yves Veggie Cuisine)

1 1/2 T rice wine

A: 1 1/2 T taiwanese vegetarian barbecue sauce (shacha sauce 沙茶醬) *Can be 
     found in most Chinese grocery stores
    1 T      soy sauce
    1/2 t   agave or other sweetener
    2 T      vegetable broth or water

B: 1 t   kuzu or cornstarch
    1 t   water


*T = tbsp, t = tsp, C = cup 


1. In a wok (or frying pan), heat 1 tsp of grapeseed oil. Add scallions and cook for about 15 seconds. Remove from the wok and set aside.

2. Heat 1 tbsp more oil in the same wok, add the green peppers and stir fry for about 1 minute. Add the garlic after 30 seconds.

3. Add the veggie beef, then pour in the rice wine. Stir fry for about 1 minute.

4. Add ingredients A and continue to stir fry, then add B (already well mixed) and stir well for another 20 seconds. Add the scallions and turn off heat. Spoon it onto a plate or over rice. Serve immediately while hot!




                                                                                               - Yvonne











我之前是不碰青椒的,所以很難想像我竟然會寫這個食譜!老媽的拿手好菜之一是沙茶青椒牛肉,我從前每次吃的時候都會把青椒挑出來,而且也不喜歡那已殘留有青椒味的牛肉與醬汁。那是什麼原因讓我改變呢?哈哈,其實我自已也不知道(?・・)σ 幾年前看了個日劇(現在也忘了是哪一部),劇情正好與食物有關,我到現在還記得裡面的其中一道菜是青椒釀肉,看起來超美味的!就這樣,在那之後我突然間很想吃青椒,也愛吃青椒!


六個月前回台灣的時候,老媽做了沙茶青椒炒豬肉,由於太好吃了,不但整盤吃光光,就連鍋子裡剩下的也都被我掃的一乾二淨!最近又突然想到那道菜,想說那我來把它做成素食,順便分享給大家。我在這裡使用的是素沙茶醬,雖然我不完全是素食者,但我平時就比較喜歡素的沙茶醬。將這道菜與醬汁放在白飯上當蓋飯,每一口都充滿了濃郁的沙茶味,超下飯又健康!




沙茶青椒素牛肉 (4 人份)




蔥       3 支…斜切 (全素者可以不使用)

青椒    2 個…切塊

蒜頭    3 粒…切碎

素肉條 約 180 克

米酒    1 1/2 大匙

A: 素沙茶醬   
1 1/2 大匙
    醬油         1 大匙
    紅糖         1/2 小匙 

    素高湯或水 2 大匙
 
B: 太白粉 1 小匙
    水      1 茶匙



1. 在炒鍋中加熱1小匙葡萄籽油,放入蔥爆香後馬上拿出。


2. 在同一個鍋中加入更多的葡萄籽油,放入青椒快炒約1分鐘,最後30秒鐘加入蒜末。


3. 加入素牛肉,然後倒入米酒炒
1分鐘。

4. 加入A料與之前的蔥繼續炒一下,再加入B料勾芡即可,盛入盤中或放在飯上當蓋飯都可以,趁熱馬上食用!



                                                                                                                                           - Yvonne









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
Merci de votre commentaire!