18.11.14

Chicken Over Rice Taiwanese style 雞肉飯






So here I am, after three months in Taiwan, I'm finally back! I know it's been too long to be away from the blogging world. I tried here and there to post something in between, but alas, no recipes. I can't tell you how much I missed writing and taking photos for my recipes, but I had no choice; I had to return home for some important family matters. It was a difficult time for all of us, and while there, I went through many different emotions: there was sorrow, relief, joy, tension, grief. It's hard to describe, it changed everyday. Thankfully, those emotions are slowly diminishing… Having gone through it, it's now time to go forward.


One of the things that was really difficult for me was that I wasn't able to cook much or work on any recipes for almost three full months! For some, that might be heaven, but for me it was torture. I know I really shouldn't be complaining. I was eating at home pretty much throughout the trip, and my mom's home cooking is certainly nothing to whine about. You see, she is the type of woman who loves to feed everyone. As long as she is physically able to cook, she won't let you cook for her or even help her (Gee, I wonder where I got that from!?). The only times she was happy to welcome me into her kitchen, was when I just wanted to chat or to watch her.


There was one dish she made that was especially memorable for me: that was this chicken dish. I thought I'd share it with you to make up for my long absence. My mom makes traditional Taiwanese food, and one of her favourite ingredients (and mine, too) is fried shallots, which is one of the key ingredients here. The dish is originally made with turkey and is from Chiayi - a provincial city that is located in the southwest part of Taiwan. The dish has only five ingredients and is really simple and quick to make, but super tasty at the same time. It's normally served with some pickled radish or cucumbers. Since it's not the season for cucumbers here, I made a different side dish - Pickled Butternut Squash to go with it. With this little variation of mine and some ingredients from Quebec, I hope you enjoy this true Taiwanese flavour as much as I do!








Chicken Over Rice Taiwanese style (4 servings)



2 chicken breasts (skin on)

A: 1/2 t    sea salt
    1/2 t    extra virgin olive oil

3-4 T duck fat (feel free to use another kind of fat : )

6 T    fried shallots (if your fried shallot pieces are large, use your fingers to crush them a little bit)

3 T    good quality soy sauce

4 servings of brown or white rice

cilantro (If you have some cilantro, it would go really well with the chicken. I didn't use it because I wasn't able to find it.)



1. Marinate the chicken breasts with A for about 1 hour in the refrigerator. *You can also do this before you leave for work.

2. When you're ready to make the dish, take the marinated chicken out of the fridge and heat your steamer. Cook your rice according to the instructions.

3. Steam the chicken breasts for about 8-10 minutes. *I steamed my chicken with the skin on since the fat adds flavour and moisture to the meat.

4. Once the chicken is cooked, turn off the heat and let it sit in the steamer for a few minutes before removing it. Take off the skin and shred the meat into medium bite-sized pieces with a fork and a knife. Put the chicken back to the steamer to keep warm until use. *Save the liquid from steaming the chicken for the next step. If you like the skin, add it to your shredded chicken pieces as well. 

5. In a small sauce pan, melt the duck fat over low heat. When it's hot, add the fried shallots and turn the heat off immediately. Add the soy sauce, the saved liquid and mix well. *Be sure not to heat your oil too much, or you'll burn the fried shallots or cause the soy sauce to splatter.

6. Place the rice into individual bowls, then top with the shredded chicken pieces. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and rice, and serve immediately. 

*T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon, C = cup

*For my side dish - Pickled Butternut Squash, click here



                                                                                               - Yvonne





Mom mom actually used chicken fat, but I wanted to incorporate something from Quebec, so I used duck fat. If you happen to have some homemade chicken stock, refrigerate it for at least 6-8 hours, then scope out the solid fat on the top. Don't throw out that yummy, tasty fat, which you can use for this recipe.

如果你不想使用鴨油,也可以使用雞油,而且只要將自製的雞湯冰放在冰箱6-8小時以上,就可以取出浮上表面並凝固的雞油來做這道小吃(^∇^)






好久沒po食譜啊!前一陣子回台灣,一待就待了三個月。這之間,我試著po了幾篇吃喝手記與貓咪雜記,但是完全沒有po食譜。我知道以一個部落客來說,這是很遭糟糕的,但我沒有任何的選擇,家裡因為有事,我得把身邊一切的事情放下。其實,這對我來說也是一種學習,我有時太在乎工作與在乎完美,要學習如何放下它們。


在這段時間內,對我來說最難的其中一件事是不能下廚與拍照食譜。幾乎三個月耶! 對一些人來說,也許他們會覺得很慶幸,但對我來說,簡直就是一種折磨。我知道我其實不應該抱怨,因為在那裡的期間,我幾乎都在家吃,也真的吃的很好,老媽每餐都做我愛吃的。她是那種喜歡照顧別人的好媽媽,只要她還動得了,她絕對會每天下廚,也不會讓任何人為她做飯或幫她。所以想要踏進她的廚房並做飯給她吃,是不太可能的事情,但若要請她傳授食譜,她會很樂意的歡迎我。


這次吃到、也是我個人非常喜愛的一道菜是老媽的雞肉飯。為了像大家彌補有那麼久一段時間都沒有po食譜,特別向老媽要了食譜回來與大家分享。老媽一般做的菜都是傳統台灣料理,她最常用、也是我很愛的食材之一是紅蔥酥,而它在這雞肉飯裡也佔有相當重要的角色。這道小吃其實是來自於嘉義火雞肉飯,一般的傳統雞肉飯會含醃蘿蔔或小黃瓜,由於現在這裡不是小黃瓜的季節,我做了涼拌冬南瓜絲與雞肉一起食用,很適合這個季節、也很對味,在國外的朋友們也可以嘗試看看。這個雞肉飯食譜融合了我自己的變化與魁北克這裡的食材,它的做法簡單、也不需要太多材料就可以自己在家做出又香又美味的雞肉飯喔!





雞肉飯 (4人份)



雞胸肉 2 塊 (不需要去除雞皮)

A: 海鹽    1/2 小匙

    橄欖油 1/2 小匙



雞油            3-4 大匙 (我用的是鴨油)


油蔥酥         3大匙


品質好的醬油 3大匙


白米或糙米    4人份





1. 將雞胸肉以A料醃約1小時。*上班族可以將這個步驟在早晨出門之前完成。

2. 將醃好的雞肉從冰箱拿出;並將蒸籠加熱,然後將雞肉放入蒸籠蒸約8-10分鐘。*我沒有將雞皮除去,因為蒸的時候可以増加一些味道,也會使雞肉較油嫩。

3. 雞肉蒸好之後,熄火但讓它繼續放置在蒸籠裡幾分鐘再拿出。若不喜歡吃雞皮,可以將皮拿掉。以刀叉將胸肉切成小條狀,再將雞肉放回蒸籠保溫。*蒸雞肉跑出來的湯汁先置一旁,不要倒掉!

5. 在一小鍋中將油以小火稍微加熱,加入油蔥酥後馬上熄火,再加入醬油與之前留下來的湯汁。

6. 將煮好的飯分別盛入4個碗內。將雞胸肉鋪在飯上面,再淋上醬汁即可。*若有香菜,可以放少許在上面,味道會更好喔~

*因為現在這裡沒有小黃瓜,我做了涼拌冬南瓜絲來搭配,參考食譜請按這裡



                                                                                               - Yvonne


 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
Merci de votre commentaire!