17.11.13

Simple Home Canning 自製罐頭







Canning is one of the ways you can preserve food for the winter. I do that a lot here since the winter is so long, and I like seeing some of my favorite summer/fall vegetables and fruits sitting on top of my pantry shelves throughout the winter. To me, the best reason to can my own food is that it's a healthier choice and I know what I put in there. Especially nowadays when there are so many food recalls, you just never know what the real ingredients in the can or jars you buy from supermarket shelves. Also, it's a fun food project and it enables you to share your canned-love with friends and family. 


 


You can buy professional canning jars (as shown above) or use leftover glass jars (from your store bought jam/peanut butter/pickles...you get the idea)
可以選擇購買專業用玻璃瓶(如圖上)或也可以使用平時食品用完剩下的玻璃罐


 

The typical way to do it is the water bath method: you basically have to sterilize the jars first, then put them in hot water (after filling them with your preserves) and simmer them for 20 minutes. I used to do it that way and I have to admit that I never really liked putting the jars back in the hot water. That was until one day when I was on the phone with my mom, with whom I like to exchange my cooking notes, who told me that she's been doing it without the last hot water bath step! I confess I didn't believe her method at first, but she insisted that it always worked well for her.


So with some doubt still in the back of my mind, I tried it her way, and you know what? It really works!! Here I want to share with you this really easy canning technique that combines with both my mom's and my ideas and will make your life much easier. It works very well with any cooked preserves such as jams, jellies, or even sauce, soup, stew...etc. Trust me, you'll be just as happy as I was when I first tried it!






Simple Home Canning


 
1. Bring a big pot of water to a boil and make sure you have enough water in the pot to fill up your jar. *You may need to use two or more pots if you're like me, who doesn't own a very large pot, or you're canning 6 or more jars. It all depends on the size of your jars, how many jars, and the size of your pot as well.
 
2. Place your jars and lids in the hot boiling water for 10 minutes.

3. While the jars are in the boiling water, preheat your oven to 300ºF, and prepare a clean baking tray. You will also need to make sure that whatever you are preserving will be ready in about 15-20 minutes.

4. Remove the jars and lids from the water and transfer them onto the baking tray. *You can either let the jars stand up or lay them flat, just don't put them upside down! As for the lids, place them inside facing up.

5. Transfer the whole tray to the preheated oven and let it dry for about 10 minutes. At this point, your filling should be almost ready just as your jars come out.

6. When the jars are dry, remove them from the oven and fill them with your jams, tomato sauce or something else. *As I mentioned earlier, the timing is very important. You need to add your filling hot, while the jars are still hot, too.

7. Work as fast as possible; put the lids on and close tightly. Invert the jars upside down and let them sit until completely cooled. *As the jars cool down, the air will be sucked out naturally. The suction of the top should go in in just about an hour or so, but do not touch the jar. Only return them upright once they've cooled.



                                                                                               - Yvonne



 






自製罐頭是長久保存食物的方法之一。我喜歡將許多夏季到秋季的水果做成泥、果醬、或醬汁儲藏起來冬天備用。對我來說,其實最重要的是它比一般超市賣的食品罐頭來的要健康許多,由其是最近不少食品頻出問題,真的讓人很害怕也很難去相信那些黑心的商人。況且自己做既充滿樂趣也讓你很有成就感,還可以把那份愛心傳播給身邊親近的友人。


通常一般的做法是在消毒完玻璃瓶及裝入做好的食品之後再放入沸水煮約20分鐘。我自己從前也都是以這樣的方式完成,一直到有一天跟老媽通電話交換意見時,她告訴我她裝罐之後一向都沒有在水中煮。我聽了之後馬上堅持她的做法是不正確的,但她卻肯定的告訴我她從未失敗過。


在掛完電話的不久,我帶著半信半疑的心態嘗試老媽敘述的方式,果然罐罐都真空!所以今天在這裡想跟大家分享這個結合我跟老媽的簡易的製作方式。它可以用在製作任何的罐頭上,比如果泥、果醬、醬汁或甚至燉湯等等。請大家也一起來嘗試自製罐頭,真的不難喔!










自製罐頭



1. 將一大鍋水燒開,並確定裡面有足夠的水蓋過罐子。*如果您像我一樣沒有很大的鍋子,可能需要使用兩個以上的鍋子才放的下所有的玻璃瓶,這要取決於您罐子的大小還有罐子的數量所定也可以就用一個鍋子重複使用

2. 將罐子與罐蓋放進燒開的水中煮10分鐘。

3. 當罐子還在鍋中時,將烤箱預熱至300ºF,並準備一個乾淨的烤盤。*這時,您準備倒入罐中的果醬或醬汁等也應該準備在15-20分鐘完成

4. 將消毒好的玻璃罐及罐蓋從鍋中取出,並將它們放在烤盤上。*可以選擇讓罐子直立或倒下平放都可以,但是不要倒立放。而罐蓋則將裡面朝上放

5. 將放有罐子及罐蓋的烤盤放入烤箱中放置約10分鐘。*此時,您要放入罐中的醬應該快完成了

6. 所有罐子與罐蓋都乾了後,將它們從烤箱中取出。拿出來之後儘快倒入要放入的醬。*罐子與醬都仍然要是熱的才行,否則會失敗!

7. 將罐子蓋上罐蓋鎖緊,動作要快。把整個罐子倒立過來放,不要動它,讓它完全放到冷卻之後在倒回原狀。當整個罐子漸漸變冷卻的同時,裡面的空氣也會被吸出。此時,蓋子上的安全鈕也會跟著凹進去變平。如果瓶蓋的安全鈕還是凸起的就表示沒有製作成功,必須得重新消毒加熱



                                                                                               - Yonnve







The suction of the top should be flat. If not, it means you have not successfully canned your jars and you would have to reheat the filling, disinfect the jar to redo the whole process again. 
當整個罐子漸漸變冷卻的同時,裡面的空氣也會被吸出。此時,蓋子上的安全鈕也會跟著凹進去變平。如果瓶蓋的安全鈕還是凸起的就表示沒有製作成功,必須得重新消毒加熱
 







It is necessary to put on labels and date, and if you'd like, a little decoration would be appreciated to!

若要送給朋友們,最好標上標籤與日期喔!當然您若想下更多的功夫加以裝飾,我想朋友們也會不勝感激的!(*‿*✿)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
Merci de votre commentaire!